Friday, February 29, 2008

Sick Puppy

My big dog Sophie is really, really sick. Yesterday, very early in the morning she woke us up scratching at her crate to go out. She doesn't normally do this. So, my husband got up and let her go. She had very loose bowels and she vomited blood. He had given her a rawhide chew the night before, and most of it was thrown up in her cage.

We called the vet yesterday, told them what happened and said she seemed like she was feeling better, so we'd watch her. We didn't give her any food. The vet said they'd be open until 6. My DH gave her about 1/2 cup of dog food. She's pretty big, say about 65-70 pounds, so she normally eats about 1 1/2 cups twice a day. She was OK, until about 6:15, when her meal came up... I feel so bad for her. First thing this morning, she was OK, fed her a small amount again... and then around 1 she threw it all up. Then some blood, OK a lot of blood. I was in a total panic. I called the vet and they said bring her immediately. We drove there as fast as we could. She threw up blood twice in the back seat. I am so not the nurse type, so I was gagging... I cannot handle that stuff. Thankfully we have leather seats, so it wiped off. We had a roll of paper towels with us. (sorry for those of you with a weak tummy)

When we got there we had to wait a bit, then they took her in to X-ray around 2:30. Nothing was lodged in her stomach. Dr. Stas thought maybe her stomach lining was irritated and the capillaries were bleeding. He gave her a shot to stop the vomiting. While the tech was explaining about the antibiotics and the other pills that we would have to give her, she threw up again. It looked like almost a cup of blood. I don't think they knew how much was coming up when we said she threw up blood. They looked a little panicked, which freaks me out. They suggested that she stay overnight, and I'm like yes. So, he said he'd give her an IV and run some blood tests.

My DS just loves, loves, loves this dog. For the record, we all do. But he would probably be the most devastated if anything happens. I sure hope when we call tomorrow morning that everything is OK. I'm telling, only God knows what this dog could have eaten to cause this. She eats everything... if that is what caused it. I'm not so sure now. Maybe she has some kind of intestinal thing. I just hope and pray that they can fix her. She really is a sweetie.

Here she is with my DS. She's the big dog, the little one is our pug Louie.


And here she is looking very sad.


Please pray that she's OK. I know she's just a dog, but she's family to us.

1 comment:

Amanda Ann said...

Awww, poor doggy. :(
I would never think of her as "only" a dog, no worries!!
I will keep her in my prayers.