Thursday, May 8, 2008

Feelin' Scrappy

I've been feelin' scrappy lately.... haven't accomplished much, because I'm a slooooowww scrapper. But, I love the process. Here's something I did a while back in February. I really liked it when I did it. I made it a 12 x 6. This is a fun size to do.


This teapot, I made back in high school in ceramics class. Here's the journaling:

When I was in high school I made this teapot in ceramics class. No big deal you would think, lots of people make these . . . not the way I did it. I went outside and dug the clay from our yard. My mom & dad have some property and own part of a creek. There’s always been tons of clay. I took the clay, and dried it out. Then you have to screen the clay, to get all the rocks and “dirt” out. Once you screen it, you add water and some “grog”. Grog is clay that has been fired and then ground into granules of more or less fineness. The clay from my yard was very soft, adding the grog gave some tooth and texture to the clay aiding in the ability of the body to maintain its form during construction. Once this was all mixed, I went through the normal process of throwing clay and forming a pot. The result was a gorgeous teapot that was a labor of love.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Josie0602 said...

Great LO and I love the story of your teapot.