Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day 2008

Today is Memorial Day - it commemorates U.S. men and women who perished while in military service. I had an uncle die in WWII. His body was buried at sea. His name was John. My dad's oldest brother. Since I was born in 1967, I never met him. My dad was the baby boy of the family, so he never really met him either. Every man in my life was in the military. My dad (Army), his dad, my uncles, my husband (Army), his dad (Navy). Also, my cousin Cindy was in the Air Force, her son just enlisted, and her hubby is soon to retire from the Air Force.

In honor of this day, I thought I'd post a picture of my dad's platoon. I couldn't find his nice Army picture, but I'd never seen this one before. It was tucked in the back of my mom's album that I snagged after she passed away.

Here's his platoon:

Here's a close up of my dad... it's actually funny, his eyes are closed! My goodness he is young:

While looking thru old photos this morning, I came across the neatest little picture binder. It is so cool. I had seen 2 photos that were torn out and still had the frayed edges on them. Leaving the torn edges is really trendy right now in scrapbooking, so I thought it was pretty cool. Then I found the whole book where the pictures were torn from... even cooler.


Here are 2 additional photos, when the book is open. The photo on the left is my DH's brother Keith, and the one on the right is his mom, who is pregnant with his brother Warren. This is 1960:


I'm going to try to scrap these some how. I'd like to try to imitate the whole binder thing being ripped out. This could be easily done in a digi layout, but I'm going to try to do it in paper.

Today is also a day for picnics and visiting families. I hope everyone has a great day.

5 comments:

inara said...

I have a great uncle who died in WWII who is buried in France. good post for today.

Cathy said...

Great post...I love looking at my Dad's pics from WWII...they were all so young!

joscelyne cutchens said...

I love those pictures! I have a binding tool that looks like that comb binding. also there is a Stampin Up! Punch that makes that edge (I know where you can get one ;) )

Stacy said...

Great photos!

Samantha said...

I absolutely love those photos and the photo book! It's such a treat to find old photos like these. With digital pictures all the rage now, I fear old memorabilia like this is becoming more and more scarce, so hang on to it and treasure it always!!