Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pink Paislee Layout

I'm working on a tutorial for good use of white space. I saw a layout the other day that tried to use white space, however, everything was just floating around. It needed pulled together. I'm going to do the same layout using the same size elements, but 2 different ways. Almost like the redo in CK, but I'll be using the same paper and same elements, just rearranging everything.

Also, there has been a lot of talk on both boards I frequent about color. How to choose colors that go together. I always take it for granted... I can just look at colors and know if they work. That may come from instinct or the fact that I have 20 years of graphic design experience, or a little of both. When first starting out as a graphic designer, I remember my art director showing me how he picked colors. He'd use a pantone book, fan it out, pick a color that he liked, then look thru it to find another color that went with it. Of course we both had studied the principals behind the color wheel. Primary, secondary, monochromatic, complimentary, etc. .... I'll try to do a crash course to help choose colors for scrapbook pages, or cards, or walls, anything really. The same principals apply.

Here's a page I did using the Pink Paislee paper that I bought at the big scrapbook store. I used complimentary colors of orange and blue. Technically, this would be called using "split complimentary" since I used a shade of blue, but, we'll save that for later.

My pug Louie. His name on his AKC registration is Precious King Louis - because we bought him from Precious Pets pug breeder. By the way, please don't ever buy a dog from a pet store. Either go to a reputable breeder or adopt a dog from a local shelter... and as Bob Barker says, don't forget to spay and neuter!


On Memorial Day, we went to see Indiana Jones. We got there really early, and since Michael's was in the same plaza, why not waste a half hour there. Absolutely nothing was on sale.... but, I did manage to buy a few things, some tape refills, and I ran across these little guys, aren't they the cutest:

I just love those owls. And for 99 cents, who could resist?

Have a super day!!

9 comments:

inara said...

cute layouts!

Jingle said...

Your pug layout is gorgeous! Great job with it! I will look forward to your tutorials, too! I LOVE those owls! How cute! I may have to hunt those down, too! LOL! The flowers are also great and so usable!

tigardlilly said...

I love the edge of the organge paper, is that a punch or is it die cut paper?

tigardlilly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chrispea said...

Tigardlilly, that's the way the paper comes. It's from Pink Paislee. You punch it out, so I can still do something with the edge I took off. :)

Debbie, a/k/a scrappydeb said...

I've never quite "gotten" the owl thing, but I have to admit, those fellas are so darn cute! Even I might have caved for $0.99! LOL! That layout is beautiful! I'm trying to do better with color, instead of just relying on the colors "matching" or papers from the same line. Can't wait to see your white space page either, that's a downfall of mine. I always find myself filling it all up! LOL!

Melissa & Emmitt said...

Louie is adorable!
I love the layout and colors you chose. Wonderful!
Melissa

joscelyne cutchens said...

I love the layout, and how cute are those stickers too?! I love that shaped paper, is that pink paislee? Cute! :)

Chrispea said...

Joscie, yes, that's Pink Paislee. :)