Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Something to Scrap About

Yesterday, my dear son gave me something to scrap about. Not that I need more subjects. I have plenty of ideas. I have 10+ years of things to scrap.

Yesterday, my dear son broke his arm. And, not just a simple fracture.... no, he did a number on his elbow. He broke the bone clean away from the elbow and the little piece that broke off, the radial head I believe it's called, moved quite a bit away from where it should be. He was climbing the swing set at the play ground. The really tall swing set, and he was about 8 foot off of the ground when he came crashing down on his elbow. He was at the local park right behind our house. They have a summer camp program where the kids go for about 5 hours a day, play, do crafts, hang out with other kids. It's nice for them to get outside during the summer, while I work, rather than sit in the house and veg in front of the boob tube.

My daughter calls at 2:30 to tell us Ethan fell and he's hurt pretty bad. We also talk to the camp counselor. We bring him home, but he's crying really hard. We thought maybe he just twisted it. So, Matt took him to the pediatricians, who could see him right away, rather than sit in the ER for 4 hours. They took Xrays and saw the break. I stayed home to finish up a client project. After viewing his films, they decided to send him to Childrens Hospital in Pittsburgh to see a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon. Matt came home with Ethan around 6, we grabbed a pillow for his arm, iPod, gameboy, magazines... we were in for the long haul.

Once at Children's, they took their own xrays, which determined that it looked like rather than surgery, they could manipulate the bone back into place by doing some "pushing and tugging" as they called it. I'm so thankful they didn't have to do surgery or stick any screws in his bone to hold it in place. They still needed to put Ethan to sleep. We stayed with him while they were giving him the medicine to fall asleep. He was so funny. One minute he's gabbing away saying he's not sleepy, and the next he was out cold.

They were done pretty quickly. They started at 10 pm, and while they were fixing his arm, we ran down to the cafeteria to eat dinner... it's very strange to eat dinner at 10 pm. About a half hour later, we went back up, and Ethan was awake already, feeling pretty good (due to the "sleepy medicine", LOL!) and talkative. We had bought some pretzels and juice, so he nibbled on those and within an hour after recovery, he was ready for discharge.

What a night! We rolled into our driveway about 1:30 am this morning. I just want to add that the entire staff at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh is magnificent. They were so good with Ethan, so gentle, and explained things to him that didn't make a 9 year old afraid. They were wonderful.

Here's my boy, quite proud of his cast:
Here's a close up of the cast, but he wouldn't hold still, so it's a bit blurry:

And, at night, he has to sleep in the big foam "Lego":

On Monday, we have to go for follow up xrays to make sure that little bone piece stayed where it is suppose to. I think I'll take my camera along and take a photo of the hospital, and maybe the xray. I'm sure the doctor will pop those up to compare.

Never a dull moment with boys. I wouldn't trade my boy for the world tho... even with all the dirt, mud, messy room, rolled socks I find under the sofa, broken bones and skinned knees. He's my boy, and I love him!

Scrap ya later, have a great day.

19 comments:

angie worthington said...

what fun, huh?....glad that he sis not have to get surgery...hope he has a speedy recovery....
;) angie/craftyscrapr

joscelyne cutchens said...

OH NO! Poor guy, I hope he heals up soon! We had great experiences with Children's Hospital in Birmingham, AL.

Jenn said...

Ouch! Hope everything looks good when you go back to the Dr! So glad he didn't have to have surgery!

Jen said...

Poor boy!!! I hope everthing works out good Monday. Glad to hear no surgery. Hope he recovers quickly.

Nicole P said...

Oh dear Chris. Kids never allow for a dull moment do they??
Hope he is feeling better soon.

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope your guy is up and running in no time flat. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the x rays look good. Hugs!

jessicamae3 said...

UGH, i am sorry for him!

Brit Swiderski said...

Awww poor kid! I hope it heals nice and quickly. My little brother did pretty much the exact same thing when he was that age. At least be got a cool cast and "lego" out of the deal!

Born2scrap said...

hope your arm heals soon!!

ScRaPbOoKfReNzY said...

Glad he's okay! Kids sure know how to scare us!

tigardlilly said...

my boy seems to break his arm every other summer. We're clear this year, but next summer is sketchy!

Rachel said...

OMG!!!

I am so happy to see that everything is mellowing out for you. Poor guy, I hope he has a speedy recovery.


Keep us updated and do bring the camera to next appointment.

Sandy/tx-nana-scraps said...

Wow! It's good they didn't have to do surgery. Poor guy, but I know he'll wear it like a "badge of courage!" :-)

Stacy said...

Poor guy! Y'all have been through the ringer, huh? Glad he didn't have to have surgery, yikes. Take care!

Debbie Gaydos said...

Oh my gosh... poor guy! Glad they were able to put his pieces parts back together without surgery, though... LOL! I hope he's right-handed!

obxpatti said...

Poor guy! He seems to be taking it well. I hope the bone will heal without surgery.

Kim said...

Poor kid! What a way to spend the last days of summer! Wishing him a speedy recovery!!

Pattie said...

Poor kid! Hope it doesn't bother him too much and heals fast! Yes, those boys are a challenge! LOL Pattie

jfrank said...

Poor guy!!! All he was doing was having a little fun!! ;) What a fun night for all of you!!! I hope he has a speedy recovery!!!