Sunday, October 19, 2008

Week in the Life ~ Journal Cover

I have finally finished my Week in the Life cover for my journal. I had fun painting and distressing it so much so, that I thought I'd share my process with you.

Here is the journal in it's original state. It was fine, and I could have used it as is, but, I wanted something different, something more me.
The first thing I did, was take the book apart. I just pulled the binding rings open and removed the covers.

The next step was to take gesso and prepare the surface for paint. I applied two coats.

Once the gesso dried, it was ready for some paint. I squirted some red and silver directly onto the journal cover and just used a paint brush to spread it around.

I liked the streaky painted look, and it looks good red, but not quite there yet.

I took Ranger Distress ink and rubbed it into the cover. I used walnut. It really brought out the red, made the color much richer.

I sprayed some Krylon Matte finish spray over the entire painted surface. However, this wasn't doing the trick, the paint was just flaking off at any little scrape or bump. I intended for this journal to be handled a lot and I can't have the paint flaking off. At this point, I was starting to get a little discouraged.

I decided to try some Modge Podge. That seemed to do the trick. After it dried a few hours, it was ready to decorate. I ran my fingernail along the edge and the paint wasn't flaking off anymore. :)

Here is the finished cover. I love it!!



I have the entire inside laid out. Each day has 8 pages. This is quite an udertaking, but in the end will be worth it. Something to look back on in 5 or 10 years when everything has changed.

Happy Sunday.

14 comments:

Christie said...

I love your cover! Can't wait to see the inside pages.

Kristin said...

Oh I love this! Great job!

kelliebean said...

Fantastic! I played along with this one, but the pics are all I have so far...if nothing else, I can procrastinate with the best of 'em.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comments about my dd. Yep, it goes by way too fast! :)

Jingle said...

This looks great!

tigardlilly said...

Love the Journal Cover, I've had the same problem with paint, I'll have to try modpodge next time.

obxpatti said...

Love your cover, Chris! The color looks terrific. I can't wait to see what your pages look like!

Jenn said...

I love how you transformed this mini! I can't wait to see the inside pages! I love my week in a life album. It's one of my favorites! congrats on your toots too!

jessicamae3 said...

That is fabulous....and definitely "you"!

Anne Marie said...

Love the bright red, and the number tape across the front -- very cool! I like the unusual opening too -- I'm going to have to file this idea away and play with my BIA someday to try to recreate this binding!

Pamela said...

I love it!

Toni said...

Wow, nice job!
Blessings,
~Toni~

Samantha said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! It was great "seeing" you, too! Your album project came out awesome!

Melissa and Emmitt said...

what a fabulous project!
your tutorial is excellent!
i always love to see what you are creating! so inspiring!
:)
melissa

sssalad said...

I love the color of the cover - all your hard work really paid off! It looks great!