I have finally finished my Week in the Life cover for my journal. I had fun painting and distressing it so much so, that I thought I'd share my process with you.
Here is the journal in it's original state. It was fine, and I could have used it as is, but, I wanted something different, something more me.
The first thing I did, was take the book apart. I just pulled the binding rings open and removed the covers.
The next step was to take gesso and prepare the surface for paint. I applied two coats.
Once the gesso dried, it was ready for some paint. I squirted some red and silver directly onto the journal cover and just used a paint brush to spread it around.
I liked the streaky painted look, and it looks good red, but not quite there yet.
I took Ranger Distress ink and rubbed it into the cover. I used walnut. It really brought out the red, made the color much richer.
I sprayed some Krylon Matte finish spray over the entire painted surface. However, this wasn't doing the trick, the paint was just flaking off at any little scrape or bump. I intended for this journal to be handled a lot and I can't have the paint flaking off. At this point, I was starting to get a little discouraged.
I decided to try some Modge Podge. That seemed to do the trick. After it dried a few hours, it was ready to decorate. I ran my fingernail along the edge and the paint wasn't flaking off anymore. :)
Here is the finished cover. I love it!!
I have the entire inside laid out. Each day has 8 pages. This is quite an udertaking, but in the end will be worth it. Something to look back on in 5 or 10 years when everything has changed.