Monday, July 20, 2009

You Can Teach Old Dogs New Tricks!!

And, I'm living proof.

I decided to take Jessica Sprague's free class: Photo Editing: Frame-ups and Special Effects. When I signed up, I just figured that I'd get some cool brushes and textures out of it. I've been using Photoshop for graphic design work since it came out... so it's been almost 19 years. But, I decided to go ahead and take the class...and I was pleasantly surprised, I learned a few new tricks.

There are many different ways to do things in Photoshop to get the same effect. I enjoyed learning these new techniques. Especially the masking. I even had a tutorial for masking all set and ready to go for my blog, but I might do it her way to see what kind of results I get, then show both ways.

Here are my photos that I used for the cool techniques she showed us:

Here is a "fake" TTV look:
ttv

Here is selective color... which I knew how to do, but she did it differently:
selective color

And this is using textures, I think 3 different textures, then apply a png file on and adding type:
textures & type

This one has 2 textures and also she showed us how she does a sepia. Again, I've done sepias, but not how she did. I kinda like her way! (gasp, I know... old dog... new tricks!!)

textures

Here is a clipping mask... again, I've done this a bit differently in the past... dare I say I think I've been doing it the hard way... in class she didn't add a texture, but I was playing around, so I did:
clipping mask

And lastly, my favorite. A bee on some lavender in my flower garden. It just turned out so soft and pretty. This has a texture and then some type.
textures & type

It was a really fun learning experience with the textures. I'm always afraid to purchase classes like this because I don't want to end up paying for something that I already know. I did skip about 1/2 of what she showed.

So, the moral of the story... you can teach an old dog new tricks... now, will this old dog retain any of this information?? That is yet to be seen.

Have a great day, I'll have a layout to share in a day or so.

1 comment:

Wedding dresses said...

What a wonderfull clicks..Its really worth appreciating.Thanks for posting!!!