Saturday, October 3, 2009

Feel Your Boobies

I'm going to tell this story once - and then my blog will commence as normal. I wasn't going to put it on my blog at all, because my blog is my happy creative place.... like my little alternate universe from reality, ya know. Once in a while I'll throw in some fun stuff we did, but I only like to share the good stuff, because don't we all have enough bad stuff going on??

Today, I'm going to share some bad stuff. And, it sucks, but I'm dealing with it... dealing with it with some kick ass attitude. I figured if I share this here, I might save someones life. I mean, WOW, seriously, save a life, so that is why I am going to share my story.

3 weeks before CHA I was driving home from the post office like I do a few times a week. I pull up behind this car. There is a white bumper sticker with pink lettering that says “Feel Your Boobies”. I read it and giggled... ha ha, feel your boobies, that is cute.

I went home. I did not feel my boobies. I think God was talking to me, giving me little hints... ok, that was more like in your face, but like we all do, we don't listen when he talks.

One week later, I'm walking out of Walmart with my family. We had just stocked up on groceries and paper products... it was a big order. I felt an itch on my left boob. I slipped my finger under the top of the bra, swiped twice to scratch the itch - then went WHOA. What was that??? A lump??? I think God was shouting at this point. I got in the car and didn't say anything to anyone. I was hoping it was just due to my period and that after I got it the next week, it would go away.

It didn't go away. Now I am worried. I asked a few friends and they were convinced it was a cyst because it hurt. They say breast cancer doesn't hurt... they're wrong. And let me tell you, it did hurt. My boobs hurt for months. I thought it was something to do with the change of life, yada yada yada--insert excuse here______.

So, with that thought, it could be a cyst, I told my husband. I left for CHA and had a great time. I must say tho, all the physical labor of setting up the one show really made my boob sore.

Once I returned home, I made a doctors appointment that week for the next. Everything is a blur since that first mammogram, then a sonogram, then a biopsy.... then I had to meet with a surgeon, and an oncologist, then I had MRIs, CTs and a Bone Scan, all which came back to say that the cancer is contained in the breast.

I have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Wow, it felt so surreal. I mean this doesn't happen to a healthy 42 year old woman, with no trace of it on either side of her family... a person who isn't over weight (well maybe 10 pounds), a person who walks, drinks soy milk, cooks dinner for the kids every night... not out of boxes, but the old fashioned way, makes bread and cookies from scratch because I'm paranoid of the stuff they put in food... washes her grapes with soap... breast fed my kids, don't drink, don't smoke.... wth? I did everything right.

Well, Breast Cancer is RANDOM. In my short few weeks I have met woman with breast cancer from as young as 22 to as old as 82+. AND there’s all different kinds of breast cancer, I have come to find out. There is the one that feeds off of protein in your body, one that is from estrogen and progesterone... which I have none of those. Each type gets different types of treatment and drugs.

My regimen will be 4 chemo treatments every 3 weeks, then surgery, then 4 more treatments, then radiation.

It's going to be a long road. But, I'm ready for it. I'm going in with a winning kick cancers ass attitude. I'll be fine. No pity. Just say some prayers that all goes well.

Sorry such a downer, and no photos! I promise the next post will be filled with fun and pretties.

Take care... and feel those boobies!

Photobucket
This image can be purchased thru iStock here. All proceeds will be donated to the Susan G. Komen For the Cure. We just made our first donation this month. :)

Please do not steal this image, or karma will get you and bad things will happen!

24 comments:

Ginny said...

I'm so sorry, this must be a nightmare for you & your family. Hang in there, keep a positive attitude & we'll all pray for you.

Shelley Haganman said...

I am sorry you have to go through this but thank you for passing the word on to others. Take care!

Pattie said...

Love your "kick ass" attitude! You and your family will be in my prayers. Good luck to you!

Jocelyn said...

Thank you for sharing....and know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!!!! I love your attitude!!!!

Scramping My Life Away said...

I don't know you, but I 'blogstalk' you all the time!! ;)
I wish the best for you and very much appreciate your story that will continue to be told. Keep up your positive attitude and keep us posted. Take care of those boobies!! ;)

NancyJones said...

(((((I just love you))))))) and Im so glad you have such an amazing kick ass attitude~ you remain in my thoughts and prayers daily.

erink88@gmail.com said...

I am not sure how I found your blog, but I love it! I don't know you, but none the less I feel for you. I am sorry to hear that you must battle breat cancer. I am a nurse and have met many women who are also doing battle. Keep your spirts up and ask questions until you feel comfortable with the answers. You must be your own advocate. You will be in my prayers.

Elizabeth said...

You are totally gonna kick this disease's butt. Just keep that positive attitude. ((HUGS))

Rachel said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us! I was also told that breast cancer doesn't hurt. I am glad you told me that is wrong.

I will be praying for you and your family during this. You will kick its BUTT!

Hugs!!!!

Brit Swiderski said...

Love.

All I have to send you is love, but there's a lot of it coming your way.

(Hugs.)

Jingle said...

I am very proud of you for sharing this here, Chris. I know that was a decision for you and it was not an easy one. I am so proud of you for being so strong and for fighting this with all you've got to fight!

Laura said...

Chris- I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You are on the right track with the attitude you have.

kimosabescraps said...

Thanks so much for telling and sharing your story!
YOu have a great attitude.. I will keep you in my thoughts as you fight this awful disease.
My mother faught for 20 years and lived with happiness and laughed alot and I believe that one day they will make even greater advances than they already have and save more women...and yes... its amazing how many women DON"T feel their boobs thinking it won't happen to them so KUDOS for sharing and advocating!!

Kim

Stacy said...

I know you will kick ASS! {{hugs}}

Amy said...

i'm sorry you're facing such a challenge....will definitely say some prayers :) keep up the positive attitude! sending you {hugs}

PattiM said...

{{{{{{HUGS!!!!!!}}}}}} I am also very proud of you for telling your story... Letting something so personal be told for all your blog readers. You are an amazing woman, Chris. Thank you for reminding me to feel my tata's.....

Hugs,

PattiM
(Pattie's passion)

I Scrap So All Moments Are Remembered!

Dana D said...

Chris, thanks for sharing your story. I know you are strong, and will beat this thing! Big HUGS to you.

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing your story. You realize you just saved some lives by doing so. Good for you! I'm proud of you! Kick butt, girl! Kick butt hard!

Samantha said...

Today, I'm gonna feel my boobies, just for you ;) Thanks for reminding us of how important it is to do regular self-examines. I KNOW you will KICK some major cancer ass. I'm here, praying for you and thinking of you! HUGS!

Angie... by the said...

Thanks for sharing, I know that can't be easy. I have a checkup again in two weeks to follow up on something we're 'watching'. I'm more freaked than the dr., but am sure it's fine. So glad you found it quick and that you're getting great treatment.

Lydia said...

I love your attitude, I pray that it makes all the difference, as you kick this. Thamk you for sharing and I too wil do a thourough check on the girls, thanks for the reminder.

Brooke said...

I will be praying for you!! Keep up that attitude!!! Glad you shared this. We all need to be reminded to do self checks. You are beautiful and will be so even without hair! (((HUGS)))

catchinghappiness said...

I've got chills and I am all choked up over your story. My heart goes out to you. I wish I could reach through the screen and give you a great big healthy healing hug (and that it would magically make everything better!) My own life has been impacted by this disease as well, through my mother and the women on her side of the family. I know what you are going through. I wish you every bit of success and good health in the coming days. Please know there are folks out here thinking of you and praying for you! Amy Tara

Vanessa (aka V, Nessa, oldschool) said...

I have not been to your blog for a while...sorry for that...but more importantly I need to express my regret for what you are going through & tell you how proud I a of you!!!
omg girl you have done everything right...it will come back to you :) hugs & support cause that is all I can give...I am thinkin of you