Thursday, January 7, 2010

Homemade Non-Stick Craft Mat, and a Layout

Have you seen the non stick craft mats that are out there? I know that Tim Holtz uses one and also Tattered Angels gives you great ideas for how to incorporate the over spray onto your projects.

Well, they can be rather pricey. A small 9x12 mat can run you $10+. And if you wanted to cover a good portion of your work surface, well, we're talking big bucks here... or are we???? What if you took a new slick vinyl shower curtain from a discount store, cut it to size, and then spritz away with your mists... then just wipe with a paper towel when you're done!! Easy storage, too, just roll it up and put it away.

OR, take a piece of MDF cut to your choice of size, lay the MDF on the shower curtain, trim sides to an over lap of about 5 inches, wrap the excess 5 inches around the back and staple. Wa-La!! A portable craft mat covered top — which provides some extra surface space if you have a small desk, like I do. I could place this over a card table. Great for little kids, too. They could work with paints on this surface and not mess up your kitchen table.

See, that's how my brain works, always trying to think of ideas on how I can make something that is expensive myself for way less.

Here's a layout I did a few months ago. Now that I look at it, it seems like something is missing... I don't know. It's fine, I won't be pulling it out to add anything, but it just seems to need something. Oh, and this is a lift of a Kim Watson layout. I love her style. She's made the new Creating Keepsakes dream team. Yeah Kim!!

Photobucket

I scanned the layout in, so I don't have any closeups. Now that I look at it.... what if I took some twine and placed it down the right by the photos? or stitching? or a twine bow? Maybe that's what it needs.... any suggestions??

Have a creative day!!

10 comments:

Lydia said...

from where I sit the page looks fabulous, if it where mine though I think that I would feel the need to connect the right hand photo by either drawing embossing or maybe stitching lines that attach to the other photos, virtually squareing the layout. Kwim?? I hope that make sense if not email me and I will sent you a pick.

Kristin said...

I think the LO is fab! If you want to add something wrap twine around the entire middle portion of the LO where the pattern paper is. My eye is drawn there and then the photo on the right seems like an afterthought. If add the twine to the pattern paper section it will give the middle a little more weight!
Don't spend to much time fussing with it...a done LO is a done LO
:-)
Not that I take my own advice or anything!

Stacy said...

What a great tip! Thanks for sharing. And I think the LO is great as usual :)

Pamela said...

I think the layout is great too! :) And I always love your tips! :)

Jocelyn said...

What a great idea with making the mat!!!!Good for you and thanks for sharing with us!!!

I adore the LO....the only thing that I could think of is putting some twine in the middle of the LO...I like that idea!!!!

Have a great one!!!! :-)

Jen Martakis said...

Ooooo! Fantastic tip! The layout looks wonderful.

and hey, you take care of yourself, get to feeling better and then shoot me an email. ;)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

u are a genius!!! i loveeeeeeeeeeeee that idea!!!!! and loving the lo too...i don't think its missing a thing! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Shelley Haganman said...

You're so smart!! Love the layout!

Amy said...

i think you're layout is great just the way it is. i know what you mean, though....i just took a bunch of photos of recent layouts and there were some that i was thinking the same thing....ah, well....we're our own worst critics, aren't we? :)

Lil-Rosi said...

Love the craft mat idea! I'll definitely have to try that! Great LO too! :)