Sunday, November 21, 2010

Punches 3 Ways....

It was going to be 4, but my snowflake did not turn out and you cannot punch thru folded layers... FYI!

You may have seen some of these techniques before, but I thought I'd share with you a few different ways to use border punches.

No. 1

The first one is a super easy idea. Use your border punch to make the edge of an envelope flap really cute:
punched env


No. 2

The second idea is pretty easy, too. Cut a strip about 1 3/4" wide and whatever length you need. Using a fancy lacy edge punch, punch along each side. You should end up with something like this:

puched ribbon

Looks great wrapped around a small box, or even a gift bag. And, of course, you could use it on a layout as well.


No. 3

The third option requires a bit more work. I have 2 samples. For the first sample, I cut a 12" strip about 1 1/2 inches wide (give or take), then punched along the one edge. Do an accordion fold using the punched edge as a guide. I folded between each scallop, and then in the middle of that scallop as well.

folding small


Once you have it all folded, create a circle, then tape or glue edges together. I used a one inch punch to punch a circle which I glued in the middle of my "medallion". I added a big sparkly gem from Creative Charms to finish it off:

small thingy

This would look great on a holiday bag or tag or even hanging from a Christmas tree. The thinner the paper, the easier it is to fold. I used an old holiday paper stack.

The next one is the same concept, but bigger. I used about a 2 1/2 inch wide strip by 12 inches long, and you will need 2 total. One wide strip won't make a complete circle, so you will need 2.

I scored between my punched edge for easier folding:

score thingy


(this is the Martha Stewart Lattice punch)

Once both strips were folded up, glued and put together, I punched a 1 1/2" circle and topped that with another Creative Charms brad, this time using a vintage brad:

big fan thingy

I think it might have looked prettier had I layered a larger circle under the red one. It's still pretty and would look great on a tree with some added ribbon and sparkle.

These were just my practice ones, to see if punching the edges would make for a prettier accordion folded embellie, and it does!

I'm sorry for the blog absence last week. It just kept getting pushed to the back burner.

I did work on some cool SVG images that I will share with you in upcoming posts. My gift to you for visiting my little ol' blog!

Have a happy Sunday!!

11 comments:

Vintage Love and Photographs said...

You've given me some ideas, thanks for posting this!

Cindy Gay said...

Wow--the flowers are very nice. Happy Thanksgiving Chris!

Cindy said...

Love these! Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! These are really cool!!! I loveeeeeeeeee the flowers! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Amy (aka Aimitup) said...

Great tutorials - was wondering how those rosettes were made. Have plenty of Creative Charms options to finish those off!

Jocelyn said...

Oh that flower is just awesome!!! I love it!!! Now you have given me inspiration to break out those punches sitting on my desk collecting dust!!!

Wishing you a great one sweet friend and a very Happy Thanksgiving!!

Jingle said...

You rock, you know that, right? Just say'n. These are all fabulous!

gilroy gal said...

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing! They really would dress up those Christmas packages and are a nice change from the standard bow.

joscelyne cutchens said...

hey, great minds think alike, eh? Gorgeous!

ScrappnBee said...

Love the rosettes! They totally rock!

World Financial Group Inc. said...

The cutwork border is looking very attractive. It's pretty and would look great on a tree with some added ribbon and sparkle.