Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bumby Hump Day

It's Wednesday, in case you weren't aware, or maybe you haven't found a decent 2011 calendar yet! ;)

Humor, R-R... remember Mork from Orc?? I was in 7th grade, and it was a huge hit. Everyone came back from Christmas vacation with Mork rainbow suspenders, including me. The "kids" at work were talking about it, and this one girl says "I wasn't even born yet"... I felt old.

Anyway, here is the bumpy part of my post. My son has allergies. 3 major ones, dairy, eggs and peanuts. He also is allergic to cats and wheat, but he can eat wheat now. (He doesn't particularly care for the taste of cats! R-R, more earth humor!!)

Prior to knowing that he had all these allergies, I was nursing him and eating everything that he shouldn't have. As a result, the poor little guy had horrible acne. I know that infants have infantile acne, but usually after the first month it goes away. Ethan was over 2 months old yet he still had it. I asked the doctors but they just brushed it off.

One evening, I decided to give him some formula. I had some free samples from the hospital. I mixed it up, and gave him one ounce. Just one. He got super hot. His belly broke out in splotches. I knew (as mothers know) that something was seriously wrong. The next day I took him to the pediatricians office. Our regular doctor wasn't in, but Dr. Maroon was there. He thought that maybe I should stop drinking milk. That maybe Ethan was allergic to dairy. Also to make an appointment with the allergist. I made an appointment, which was a week away, and during that time I tried really hard to give up milk. It was really hard. I found a formula that he could have (Nutramigen). After his test results came back, we found what he was allergic to. Thankfully, he could have soy. He went on a soy formula, and I went back on my regular diet.

I also had him tested for peas, and he wasn't allergic to them then, but, he is now. His lips will swell up like balloons. If you think about it, the pea is a legume and a peanut is a legume, and they're related. No peas or peanuts for him.

I've been wanting to document this story along with these photos of my poor baby. He looks like a teenager with severe acne.

I titled it We Did Not Know...

Photobucket

Here are a couple of close ups:
Photobucket

Photobucket

In this one, you can really see his poor skin.
Photobucket

I'm glad I documented this. Ethan hates having allergies. Thankfully at 12, he is outgrowing some of them. He can have egg if it's baked in something like a cake, but if it's mixed in Chinese noodles or soup, he gets very ill (we found out the hard way). He's OK with wheat now and milk isn't too bad any longer. He can't drink a glass of it, but he can have small amounts of cheese and he loves Rediwhip. Peanuts are usually a life long allergy that people do not grow out of, he cannot eat those, ever. They cause anaphylactic shock.

I did another layout this past weekend, I'll post that on Friday. It's a very cute photo of Ethan. I need to show you how cute he turned out after his face cleared up!! ;)

Have a great hump day!!

13 comments:

Jingle said...

Oh, the poor little thing! Such a great page!!!

Casey Wright said...

Aww... poor little guy!

What a sweet layout though!

Kelli said...

I am the opposite! As I get older, I am finding more things I can't eat, or am allergic too. Penicillin for one, found out the hard way, last winter.
Milk is okay, in my coffee, but icecream, yogurt, cottage cheese, whipped cream, severe stomach pain, so I take Lactaid pills, generic Costco ones.
Nuts, alcohol, too much bread, major stomach discomfort.
When I found out I was lactose intolerant, my husband said I was everything intolerant.

Erica Hettwer said...

Oh, I think he's still adorable! :)

Marlene said...

Aww, poor little guy. I guess I'm fortunate, as I am not allergic to a darned thing (that I'm aware of, anyway). My older daughter is allergic to shellfish, but that's pretty easily avoided. Younger daughter - no food allergies, either.

Fantastic layout. I particularly like how you strung the ribbon of stars across the ticket. :)

Meredith said...

What a cute layout!!
I have a son with allergies, except they are not IgE like your son's. So, I know how hard it is when they are babies. My son was breastfed most of the time while I cut out dairy and soy, but he is also allergic to rice/oats. He has a rare syndrome called FPIES that he will luckily outgrow.
I do have a blog if you want to look for curiosity's sake www.fpiesbaby.blogspot.com
I know how hard it is, and what a cool idea to document that in a scrapbook page. I need to think about a way to do that too! TFS!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Awwwwwwwww poor baby! I love love love that your documented this!! I did one too of DS after we found out he is allergic to Ibrpofen (SP?)....and NA-NO-NA-NO... i loved your jokes!! LOL!! I am old enough to remember Mork, Mindy...and Johnathan Winters on there too! LOL! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Cindy Gay said...

I'm glad he can have wheat and milk now and some eggs. Nice pictures even with the allergy showing! Hope you're experiencing a thaw there in Pa!

Sue, a.k.a. midwestgirl said...

My husband had terrible food allergies as a child, but had outgrown all of them by the time we met in college. Lovely layout, great colors!

Tracy said...

Awww poor little guy.
Luckily none of my girls have or had allergies. Hubby is allergic to pollen, dust, trees, that type of stuff.

Jocelyn said...

Poor baby and yes allergies do stink!!! He really has some serious ones!!!

Love this LO and that you were able to document this!!!! Great colors and I adore the title!!

Wishing you a great one!!!

Michelle said...

What a sweet layout. Poor Ethan. What a relief to know what was going on. ANd I LOVE that ticket at the top! Perfect saying!

PEA said...

Hello Chris,
very happy to have stumbled across your blog. I love your humor and attitude after such a hard time. Probably why you will do so well after your treatments. I believe that attitude with cancer is 75 % of the healing. I have survived cancer for 15 yrs now. Cervical stage 5.
What a adorable LO. Poor little thing. I know allergies all too well. My Mom was so nice to pass on some of her 4 pages front and back to me. being allergic to your own hair is the worst and she is. Thankfully most of mine are plants and a few foods. Medicines, fruit and shellfish bother me the most.
I hope your knees feel better soon. Cute boots are usually a foot killer;)
pea