Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Shopping in My Basement

That's right, I went shopping in my basement. And, it didn't cost me a dime! ;)

My foyer was looking very ho-hum, especially after I took all the holiday stuff down. It sat that way for 2 months after Christmas, just there... shelves and a table. I didn't want to put up my matching candlestick lamps because the one was broken. Knocked down ~I don't know how many times ~ by little kids. That's what started it, that one candlestick!

 Isn't it always that one something? The next thing you know, you're painting walls or rearranging furniture!

I have a confession... prior to my scrapbooking hobby,  my hobby was decorating, and I had a slight obsession with accessories. Any time I went shopping, I was always on the look out for accessories.  {sidebar: I think embellishments are the accessories to a scrapbook page... that's probably why I'm so addicted to them as well.} I have quite a collection of things in my basement. My friend Theresa even joked once that she was going to go shopping down there.

It's also fun to move things around in your house once in a while, and that's what I did with this new lamp on my table. Previously, it was in the formal living room, but I bought new lamps for the family room so I moved the family room lamps into the living room, and hence, the extra lamp. It was small enough for the table, too.

OK, enough talking! Here's the picture, I'll show you that, then explain it a bit:

foyer 1 sm

I'm not sure what look I'm going after, maybe eclectic? My inspiration was the Pottery Barn catalog. Not one specific page, but I kind of combined a couple of ideas from several pages. This is still a work in progress. I'm going to add some kind of decorator balls in the basket. Maybe ones covered with old book pages. And, right above the basket, it might be cool to put some kind of vinyl saying or poem or quote... might be cool.

What's new here, besides the lamp, is the deer antlers... apparently, antlers are pretty chic in the decorating world... who knew? And I just happened to have some, compliments of my husband.

horns

Normally I just have pictures on this table and the shelves, but I put up the wicker charger plate and a small orchid. On the bottom shelf, I put our Harry Potter books...

books cu

That was new, to me... then I put the urn with paint brushes on the shelf... I was going to take out the brushes, but after I saw it with the books, I thought it looked very Pottery Barn like, so I left them in the urn.

So, there you have it, my new foyer with old stuff that I found in the basement and around the house.

After this little fun re-arranging, I started hopping around the internet to get some other ideas, and boy was I in for a surprise! There are some great ideas out there!! Check out what these ladies do with thrift store finds and other cheap tricks for decorating:
Those are a few that I found, but trust me, there are tons of blogs out there and people like me who love to do DIY projects and fix up their house...heck, I'm so inspired I might even repaint my walls or faux granite my boring beige countertops!

15 comments:

Marlene said...

Oooh....looks pretty! Come decorate my house! :)

Tammy said...

What a cool idea! I'll remember this the next time I need a change. Before scrapbooking took over my life I used to do things like sponge painting the foyer. LOL. Not so much anymore.....

Cindy said...

It looks very good. Feel free to come visit me and we can shop and decorate to your hearts content. :)

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [03 Mar 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving how it turned out...and I'm the same way... I have to switch things up a bit every now and then! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Saks Fifth Avenue Coupon said...

You can also decorate house with old but fashionable items.But that thing required lots of creativity and need extra time to do additional work.Yes its easy to buy trendy items and used for decoration purposes.Basement part of your house shown in image looks so stylish and beautiful.

Marfa said...

Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song about the car that didn't cost him a dime!
Your foyer looks beautiful!!!

Jingle said...

That space looks great!

Sue, a.k.a. midwestgirl said...

Love the finished result! i know I have plenty of stuff sitting around the house that I could redecorate with - great inspiration!

Andrea Amu said...

Your foyer looks great!
I love the urn with the paintbrushes... fun accent!

Link Up Lounge said...

Can you come decorate my house? lol
You are so creative!! Thanks so much for linking up at the Link Up Lounge! I really appreciate it and hope to see you back each day for a new link up opportunity! =)

best wedding invitation said...

I like the lampshade.Your basement is really looks very stylish and beautiful...!!!!!

Mississauga Real Estate said...

The interior is really amazing.....The flower vase is very attractive i am wondering to have one for my living room's corner.

nyc real estate brokers said...

Great inspiration to use trendy items for decoration purposes.

Basement Decorating said...

My two Daughters live in the basement and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for decorating ideas... I dont want them to paint the walls and the ceilings are like school ceilings, the white tile boards, and I dont want them to get ruined... can anyone help me