Monday, April 4, 2011

Grandma's Day

Oh, poor 'grandma'. Her birthday was less than perfect this year. Grandma is actually my mother-in-law, not my grandma.... she is Matt's step-mother. She's really the only grandma my kids have, so we all call her grandma. She never had any kids of her own, so she really spoils us rotten. I seriously can't complain.

Matt's dad had back surgery a week before Grandma Barbara's birthday, so we just went to their house for pizza and cake. She was kind of bummed because she wanted to go out to dinner, but we tried to make it the best we could. About a month later, we did all go out to eat to celebrate her birthday... again! This family is funny, I swear we celebrate all of our birthdays at least twice, once with friends, once with family.

Here's the layout I did for Grandma Barbara:
Photobucket

Isn't the quote perfect on the paper? I thought it was nice, since she's the step mom, but family to us. I'm still using up old paper. {Truthfully, I haven't put a dent in my stash.} This is old Websters Pages paper.

I used my Slice to do this banner title, buttons and some Colorbok letters:
Photobucket

And a little cluster of flowers. Can you tell how much I love my Creative Charms velvet flowers? Love this soft brown color.


Photobucket

How was your weekend? We had dinner at the HofbrÀuhaus in Pittsburgh's Southside. After dinner we walked around the shops and happened to go into Sur La Table... they had a sale on ice cream makers, not that we were looking for one, but we had mentioned now that we're eating cleaner and more organic it would be neat to make our own ice cream. It's a Cuisinart ice cream maker, and it wasn't super expensive.

You do need to freeze the bowl for 24 hours before you make ice cream, but, if you have a big freezer or an extra one, you can just keep the bowl in the freezer all the time so it's ready. We have a big chest freezer so we'll store it in there.

Let me tell you, if you think Ben & Jerry's ice cream is rich and delicious, you should make your own. Wow! We decided to make chocolate, it was really easy, and so yummy. We're going to try a custard ice cream next, and also a soy ice cream for my son. Soy ice cream is expensive and hard to find sometimes, but if I can make it for him, he'll have a tasty treat all the time. It makes a pretty good amount, and you just put it in a container and store it in the freezer like you would regular ice cream.

All this talk of ice cream... I think I need a little bite of some!

Have a great week!!

9 comments:

Raechelle said...

Love your layout! I know what you mean about not putting a dent into your stash. lol. I have been trying to use mine as well.
Fun new toy! :)

Kristin said...

You will love this! It is so great to be able to make your own flavors that are way better than anything that you can find in the stores. We use Rich's Whip and Coconut Milk in our dairy free ice cream. I totally need an extra bowl since mine is never ready when I want it to be, lol! Have fun :-)

Cindy Gay said...

Lovely MIL page and the quote is great.

Marlene said...

BEST layout EVER! I love this!! (And now I'm craving ice cream, too...thanks to you.)

Marfa said...

Lush, beautiful layout...and the story behind it is very sweet. Mmmm...that homemade ice cream sounds so good. I think that it's best to make your own, that way you know what ingredients are going IN...I used to get Breyer's because it was all natural, like 3 or 4 ingredients (milk, sugar, cream, vanilla), but now, I go to Trader Joe's and get their French vanilla because it's made with milk not treated with rBST. We add fresh strawberries, blueberries or chocolate to that if we want a different flavor!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

*sigh* this is soooooooooo sweet! And she sounds like a fab lady! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee your lo! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Jocelyn said...

What a great LO....Love that quote...so true!!!! I have a question...is there a cartridge to make the banner?

Such happy colors and I adore the flowers!!!

Yay for making your own ice cream...We need to do that....so much healthier!!!!

Wishing you a great day sweet friend!!

Jingle said...

This is SUCH a fabulous layout! I love it! Have fun with your new ice cream maker! We actually bought a new crock pot last night. Chili this weekend!!!!

Andrea Amu said...

Mmm, now I need some icecream!

I love your layout, Chris. That lil' banner is adorable!